Kirkwood Palliative Care Toolkit
Management of common palliative care symptoms during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are in an unprecedented situation. Not only must we change our ways of working due to COVID-19, we must also maintain good care for our patients with life limiting illness across all locations in Kirklees.
We have created the Kirkwood Toolkit for use by our colleagues managing patients with life limiting illness. Included are guidelines relating to general issues related to care in life limiting illness, but we have also produced bespoke guidance specifically for this situation, including advice if supplies of standard medication are limited, and specific guidance on management of intractable symptoms related to COVID-19 exposure. Particular guidance on future care planning / advance planning at this time is also given which I would advise every clinician to read and act on. Hopefully our “COVID” mnemonic will help focus some of these very challenging conversations.
You will find links to download these as PDF documents at the bottom of this page.
In addition, to support patient care and working with our colleagues, we can announce:
- The ability to perform virtual face to face assessments using AccuRx from 30/03/2020
- The ability to provide E-consultations through SystmOne for non-urgent palliative care advice should this be requested
- Continuation of Community Palliative Care Team, Care Co-ordination services and Advice Line (01484 557910)
- Adoption of Microsoft Teams for remote team working (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org if using this would benefit your patient care / practice)
We hope this will be an evolving toolkit dependent on identified needs and if you have any specific requests or feedback please email me directly at email@example.com. Please note that this toolkit has been devised in response to urgent community need and content is a guide only. Professionals remain responsible for their own clinical advice and decision making.
Thank you all for supporting patient care at this challenging time.
Advance planning and escalation
- Fever Management (COVID-19) in palliative care
- Early management of secretions
- Early management of intractable breathlessness
- Early management of delirium and agitation in palliative care
- End of life management of secretions
- End of life management of breathlessness and cough
- End of life management of delirium and agitation
- Guidance on anticipatory medication
- Alternatives to Common Palliative Care Drugs - Strong Opioids
- Alternatives to Common Palliative Care Drugs - Strong Opioids via syringe driver
- Opioid conversion chart
Sources of information
Need clinical advice?
Call our advice line on: